The New York Times reported, the family of John Singleton said that they directed doctors to pull him off life support on today after he suffered a stroke earlier this month.
“It is with heavy hearts we announce that our beloved son, father and friend, John Daniel Singleton will be taken off of life support today,” said the statement, which was released by Singleton’s publicist around 10 a.m. Pacific time. “This was an agonizing decision, one that our family made, over a number of days, with the careful counsel of John’s doctors.”
Earlier Monday, John’s publicist told TMZ that Singleton was on life support and still alive at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in L.A.
John suffered a stroke at Cedars Medical Center 12 days ago, after checking himself into the hospital because of pain in one of his legs.
Taraji P. Henson and Tyrese Gibson went to see director John Singleton last weekend after the beloved director was hospitalized.
Following their visit, she shared an older picture of them; they worked with Singleton in the hit 2001 film Baby Boy.
Visited you today. Me and @tyrese prayed so hard over you. You heard my voice and jumped up. I HAVE HOPE AND FAITH BECAUSE I KNOW THAT #GODIS. Keep praying EVERYBODY for our beloved… https://t.co/sssns0ib5T
— Taraji P. Henson (@TherealTaraji) April 28, 2019
Tyrese also commented:
“Heavy heart, state of shock, but there was something powerful about feeling the presence of God that gave us the reassurance that God is going to pull him through this,” the actor wrote. “The idea that me and Taraji prayed hard over John; so much history so much genuine love. We can only hope and keep praying that God brings him back to us.”
In the middle of all of this; unfortunately, the family is at war over control of John’s estate. Shelia has asked a judge to appoint her temporary conservator to handle his business affairs, while one of his daughters, Cleopatra, is trying to block the conservatorship, claiming Shelia is trying to fleece the estate and freeze out his four children.
Source: www.nytimes.com // TMZ.com
On last Thursday, Singleton’s mother, Shelia Ward, requested to be named temporary conservator of her 51-year-old son and his estate. However, Singleton’s daughter is not happy about this.
The college sophomore, Cleopatra, says his mother is “misrepresenting his condition,” and that her family met with his doctor to discuss her father’s condition. “My father is not in a coma. Although they do not have a concrete diagnosis, my dad is progressing every day and in that meeting [with] the doctor [said] that he could be out of the ICU in 5 days,” Cleopatra wrote. “My father is breathing on his own. He is only medically sedated to keep his blood pressure low and allow the vessels in his brain to heal.”
Singleton’s daughter feels that her grandfather, Danny Singleton, or her older brother Maasai Singleton, would be a better fit for his conservator since Ward has “abused” her position as Singleton’s manager.
On her declaration, 19-year-old Cleopatra wrote, “My grandmother’s intentions toward my father and his children are disturbing. She cannot be [a] conservator of his person or his estate.” She continues by saying, “Myself, several of my siblings, and my father’s father will oppose my grandmother’s application to be appointed my father’s legal conservator.”
Ward filed an application last Thursday to be named temporary conservator of her son claiming that he, “is currently hospitalized in a coma and is unable to provide for his personal needs,” according to court documents obtained by PEOPLE.
She fears that Singleton may be at risk for a “substantial financial loss” since Singleton was currently dealing with “several business projects and was prepared to sign a lucrative settlement agreement” at the end of the month, according to the documents.
Ward says the conservatorship is to prevent this from happening.
“Ms. Ward requested to be named his conservator for now because her son had not signed any health care directive or power of attorney that would let someone make medical or financial decisions for him, the papers said. As is required in a conservatorship case, the papers included a declaration from a doctor attesting to Mr. Singleton’s impaired state, though the declaration did not specify whether he was in a coma.” says the New York Times.
The family has fought publically before. In 2016, one of Singleton’s sons wrote an open letter that accused Ward of being “manipulative and controlling” according to the New York Times.
Written by Imani Maxberry
Sources: people.com // usatoday.com // www.nytimes.com // usatoday.com // tmz.com