· About 16.2%of people in the US between the ages of 14-49 are infected with genital herpes.
· The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, released Thursday, said the rate of genital herpes -- herpes simplex virus type 2 -- is almost twice the amount in women than in men.
· According to the report, 48% of Black women have been exposed to the Herpes virus, but may not have the disease.
· In addition, the prevalence of genital herpes is 3 times higher among African-Americans than whites but is lowest among Mexican-Americans.
· African-Americans are more than 4 times as likely to be infected with genital herpes as are whites, even among blacks who have one lifetime sex partner.